Design and Make Your Own Footstool In 4 Easy Steps
Are you looking for something to fill an empty space in your living room? Or have you been searching for a footstool on the high street but can’t find anything you like? We have a simple solution for you. From our stunning converted chapel in Cheshire, you can design and create your own stunning footstool on one of our upholstery workshops, which you can be proud to call your own at the end of the day.
Of course, you can go out and buy a perfectly nice footstool from a local shop or online retailer, but you won’t get the chance of telling people you made it yourself, and the sense of pride. And it doesn’t stop there… the skills which you will learn on one of our Footstool Workshops, you will be able to use time and time again to make other pieces of furniture.
So, what are the 4 steps?
1. Choose the design
The first step is knowing what you want your footstool to look like, and thinking about what it will look like in your chosen room. Would a Deep Buttoned footstool suit your interiors more than pleated or single panelled stool?
2. Choose the fabric
Choosing the fabric is where you can have the fun. You can choose any fabric you want, whether you want a statement colour or unique pattern to make it pop, or even a neutral colour to match a sofa or wallpaper. The fabric you choose will be completely unique to you and can make the footstool one of a kind.
3. Choose the colour of your legs
You can choose the colour of the legs of your footstool to suit how you want too. This means that the footstool will be even more suited to your interiors and completely bespoke to you- what could be more special? You can choose from natural or dark wax, so depending on what colour fabric you want, you can decide from there…
4. Choose when you want to come and make it!!
Lastly, you can decide on when you want to come and make it… If you can’t find a date suitable online for you, you can enquire or register your interest online. Let us know the course that you are interested in, the month and the day you want to come. We will be in touch to book you in.
What will you learn on the course?
- About the different tools and materials needed for upholstery. These are all detailed in your course handout to take home at the end of the day.
- Techniques like stapling elasticated webbing and hessian to the wooden frame, glueing foam to the hessian.
- How to prepare the foam for deep buttoning including marking out the foam, drilling holes, and applying dacron.
- How to prepare your fabric including marking out for buttoning, measuring and cutting the fabric
- The process behind planning where the buttons will go. How to make your own fabric buttons, and how to deep button your furniture. Including pleating and finishing off your piece.
- To finish and fix the feet to your furniture.
If one of our upholstery workshops sounds like something you are interested in, you can view and book our individual workshops here. Alternatively If you are interested in making a group booking (for more than 4), complete the Group Bookings form here , and we will get back to you. Alternatively call us on 01260 609021 to discuss your needs.