The workshop is aimed at complete beginners looking for an introduction into the world of upholstery.
By the end of the workshop individuals will have an understanding of the tools, materials and fabric needed to complete basic upholstery projects, along with practical experience at ten basic upholstery techniques on your own furniture frame to take home.
You will be able to go on and use these basic techniques to upholster furniture like drop in dining chair seats, footstools, bench seating, stools, headboards and more.
If you like to learn in person this workshop is for you. The workshop includes a mixture of practical and theoretical teaching. You will have the opportunity to ask Emma lots of questions throughout the day.
Please note you will not be making a finished piece of furniture. You will practice techniques on a stool / footstool frame that you get to keep at the end of your workshop.
You will learn
- About the basic upholstery tools you will need to get you started. A safety demonstration on how to use them and you get to try them out yourself.
- A detailed workshop handout will be provided for you to take home at the end of day.
- About basic upholstery materials you may need for projects, you will use these later on in the workshop.
- About upholstery fabric.Emma will share her expertise and tips so you feel prepared to buy the right upholstery fabric for your project. You will get to see and feel different upholstery fabrics as part of the tutorial. Emma will include an overview of fabric sustainability and show you examples available. It will also include tips on how to do a search for fabric online.
- Ten upholstery techniques; Attach elasticated webbing and hessian. How to measure foam for a project and attach (stapling and gluing with spray adhesive). How to measure what fabric you need, and marking out your fabric. How to start attaching your fabric. Finishing corners – including hospital corners and a double pleated corner.
- See a demonstration of single piping and how to attach, and an example of shallow buttoning.
- Hot and cold drinks are included throughout the day.
- You will need to bring your own lunch with you.